[CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand

Wigent, Donald E WIGENTD@MAIL.ECU.EDU
Sat, 12 Feb 2005 10:25:56 -0500

Hi Don Wigent here.

You might want to talk to Steinway and see what they say about the
antique value, or what they think the value might be. I would not
replace every thing just on general principals, but I would look at
every thing and see if things are in reasonable shape, then see what the
customer would like to do. I don't believe in rebuilding every thing
just because it is old. You might be able to make this piano play quite
well without a full scale rebuild.

Don wigent technician East Carolina U   =20

=20

  _____ =20

From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Stephen Snyder
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 7:09 PM
To: 'College and University Technicians'
Subject: [CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand

=20

Dear Friends,

=20

I have a customer with a Steinway Style II grand.  This was in
production for a couple of years between 1872 and 1873 before the
introduction of the Steinway B.  I hope some of you are familiar with
this piano.   This piano appears to be in original condition , but is in
need of restoration/ preservation.  I'm looking for feedback on whether
it would be best to restore the piano -new soundboard, pinblock,bridge
caps action parts.etc. or preserve the  the piano using as many of the
original components as possible?  I realize there will be no clear cut
answer, but given the historic/antique nature of the instrument your
thoughts will be appreciated.

=20

Regards,

Steve