[CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand

Ed Sutton ed440@mindspring.com
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 14:35:33 -0500

Stephen-

An 1869 Style lll Steinway much as you describe (rosewood with crazy legs) is now on eBay "fully restored in mint condition with new soundboard and modern Steinway action."  They are asking $60,000.  I believe this is not the first attempt to make this sale. eBay watchers know that dealers often "go fishing" with high prices, especially when they have an extreme looking instrument such as this one.

In addition to Steinway, you might also contact Ed Swenson to get a price on a historically authentic restoration.  His web site is listed in the PTG site.

Art conservators have a long, ongoing discussion about the ethics of art restoration.  We are just beginning this discussion among piano technicians.

Ed Sutton

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen Snyder
To: College and University Technicians
Sent: 2/13/2005 9:45:21 PM
Subject: [CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand

Dear Friends,

Thanks for all of your comments.  I expected a wide variety of opinions.  Here is a little more detail about the piano:  Serial # 26784 It has a full plate with agraffes all the way to the top note.   The soundboard does not go all the way around the rim.  There is a cutoff area with a tensioning bar in the bass section. It is an 85 note keyboard. Tubular action rails with capstan screws not rockers. 2 pedals no sostenuto.  Rosewood case with carved legs similar ro those found on a square grand piano.  Old style damper posts with no screw sockets.

The piano is in a private home.  My  customer would like to restore or preserve the piano for her own use and possibly donate it to a musical organization in the future or perhaps a museum.  My customer is trying to determine whether the piano would be more valuable as an original instrument or a restored instrument.

Here is how I plan to proceed:  1.Talk to Steinway 2. Try and determine if the piano is in original condition.  3. Give my client the pro's and con's of each approach if the piano is determined to be in original condition and proceed from there.

Thanks again for all of your responses.  I'll try and report back when and if my client makes a decision.

Regards,
Steve

Stephen Snyder
Registered Piano Technician