[CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 19:14:45 EST

Hi Bill
  I Would love to see your presentation some  time

  I am also interested in any information that can be gleaned from a
completely original Style 1 to 6 Steinway, especially the results of an  analysis of
original treble string material.    (I haven't yet  discovered - if someone
here has, please share - what Steinway used for treble  wire;  the lengths are
too short for modern wire, even at a higher pitch  Steinway played with during
this period.

  You do recall the 1872  I rebuilt. Do you service it in  Palm Springs? If
so how's it doing.

.

Short treble stringing scale, should be rescaled or Pure Sound wire  should
be used (consult with the folks at Pure Sound)

Experimentation with pitch (Steinway was building some pianos at up to  A-457)

 I strung mine with the original size wire & discovered it  need to be tuned
at 457 after calculating the speaking length & tension. Do  you recall this?
At this pitch it's quite a stunning sound & one realizes  the Steinway voice
even then.

Of course, the typical problems of early modern Steinways you'll find  here,
too, such as damper set screws that cannot be  tightened.

  I removed the old funky flanges & pinned on new top  flanges. There's
really no reason not to.

It is important to determine the "originality" of the instrument, since  you
may want to preserve, if it's worth preserving.  That's a big  subject, others
may want to take it up in this  context.....

 If the board is toast then IMO it doesn't represent  even a facimile of what
it was originay

I could send you the current version of my "Early Steinway Grand"
presentation if you would like.   And/or you could ask the folks at  MARC if they'd
invite me to give the class there in March (nothing  like a brazen effort to get
invited to MARC, huh!)

  Uhh I'd like to see it.
  Thanks
   Dale