[CAUT] Steinway Style II Grand

Greg Granoff gjg2@humboldt.edu
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:37:53 -0800

I believe Conrad makes an important point here.  This isn't really about
what vintage of piano is an "improvement" over which other vintage.  We have
a Bach scholar here who is a harpsichordist/fortepianist who was one of the
people most influential in the "period performance" movement in San
Francisco when it began in the 60's.  She owns a modern piano and enjoys it
as much as the next person.  However, she is always quick to point out that
period instruments, whether original or copies, playing and sounding as they
would have when new (we hope) are like fascinating time machines.  As she
puts it, they "send us messages" directly from the past that tell us
important things about the music written for them, as well as the
experiences and feelings and judgements of the listeners and performers of
the day as they moved about in their particular sonic world.  Modern
pianists sometimes wonder why Beethoven often wrote such close chord
voicings  in the bass cleff.  They sound like mud on a modern grand, but are
perfectly understandable on a Viennese fortepiano of the day.  Many of the
bow gestures inherent in period style baroque string playing that are so
necessary to the vividness and emotion of that sound did not become apparent
till people began using the lighter, lower tension Baroque bows, and so on.
For this reason, I myself, and many others I'm sure would feel cheated out
of a very dynamic sense of our own cultural past if no one ever performed on
period instruments and all obsolete instruments were updated.

Just my 2 cents as well.

Greg