[CAUT] d minor

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:02:59

Hi Richard,

The fiddle is pretty *loud* under the ear--and there is a wide "zone" where
there is no "beat" when tuning at the fundamental. The player will listen
to the d minor chord and get the best "fit" for A4. The player may not even
be able to hear the A4 from the piano when he is tuning. Some players do
prefer D major. A very few will listen to B2 compared to A4 and then tune
their instrument while the B2 is being played.

There is a famous passage in the first movement of the Spring Sonata by
Beethoven where the fiddle and piano do a measured trill at the same speed.
It's tricky--because often the fiddle player can't hear the piano at all,
if he is totally synchronized with it.

It is not well known--but in fact there *is* measurable inharmonicity in
the "perfect fifths" used on a violin. Sometimes with very dissimilar
makers (for example German vs. Italian) the G strings of two instruments
that are "perfectly" tuned will not "line up". It's a perfect example of
"para inharmonicity" (i.e. the structure of the "sound board/bridge" having
an effect on pitch).

At 03:19 PM 15/02/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>When string players tune to a piano the A 440 is struck, and that is
>often followed by a d minor, root position chord with the A 440 being
>the fifth.  I've often heard this done at concerts but I've never been
>asked why the d minor chord is used.  A student asked me today and I
>didn't have an answer.  Why d minor?
>
>Richard West, RPT
>University of Nebraska
>Lincoln, NE