[CAUT] SD-10 duplex question

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:29:09 -0500

Mark,
We don't have an SD, but we have 4 SF's.  One is from 1982 and is
exactly as you describe, with the thin bushing cloth material merely
serving an aesthetic purpose.  Just for fun, I went to check one of our
1994 models and guess what.  The cloth used in those pianos was thick
enough to mute that string segment!

Odd thing about it is that, while yes, there is more after ring on the
1982, it actually has a much more lovely sound than the newer ones.
Once you get those non-speaking segments tuned the tone cleans up
nicely.  It was used for years as a recital piano in a "back up" venue.
  I wouldn't let them use the newer ones for a recital if they were all
we had.  I don't think that has as much to do with the muted
non-speaking section as it does with the crappy sounding hammers they
put on the later models.

Jeff