[CAUT] First and Second Generation Front Duplex

David Vanderhoofven david@vanderpiano.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:28:46 -0600

Hi Bill,

What is the difference between the first and second generation front duplexing?

And what is the difference between the first generation sostenuto and later
versions?

Just curious, because yesterday I looked at an 85 note Steinway A #50446 c.
1883, with full duplexes in the front and rear.  The rear duplexes may have
been changed in 1961 when the piano was rebuilt at Steinway, but the front
duplexes are original and cast into the plate.  The enclosed picture shows
the front duplexes in the first capo section.  Is this a first generation
duplex?

Thanks for the great information.

David Vanderhoofven
Joplin, MO

At 12:46 PM 2/16/2005, you wrote:
>4.  Overstrung, with 2nd generation front duplexing (this is amazing),
>modern style action with tubular metallic action frame and 1st generation
>sostenuto mounted on belly
>Bill

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 5514.JPG