[CAUT] First and Second Generation Front Duplex

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:54:30 -0500

Hi, David,

First, my terminology is my own, not some standardized terminology.  Also, I don't discuss rear duplexing at all, only front duplexing, although rear duplexing entered the picture in the 70's.

First generation duplexing is Steinway's very first effort to create a string segment in front of the speaking length that might brighten tone.  This was done with a very low string angle and with full agraffes.  Many mid-70's pianos, and all A/B/C/D designs used capo bar style duplexing with a higher string angle, which I describe as second generation duplexing.  The individually cast rest pieces, as in your picture, are early applications of the modern, 2nd generation design.

As I noted, the first generation sostenuto was mounted on the belly.  It also had a very peculiar and interesting design.

Bill