[CAUT] SD-10 duplex question

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:30:19 -0600

Hi Mark,
               Glad to hear you are alive and kicking.

At 04:02 PM 2/15/2005, you wrote:
>We have an 1986 Baldwin SD-10 here with the fancy individual front-duplex
>peices and accujust hitch-pins.
>
>String segments from the tuning-pins to the front duplex, and from the
>treble bridge to the hitch-pins are open (unbraided), and quite "lively"
>throughout the treble.
>
>My question; is this original?

Yes it is.

>The front segment looks suspect; instead of a thick string cushion, there is
>only bushing cloth, which comes nowhere near to contacting/muting the
>strings.

This the way it was designed.  The woven cloth is there to cover the Allen
machine screws that secure the resonators to the plate. So purely cosmetic.

>(to the best of my knowledge, this instrument has never been restrung)

Probably not since 1986 Vintage

>Would this segment originally have been braided?

No.

>I'm going to braid it anyhow (it has a ring-time of 6-7 seconds when
>strummed), just can't imagine this segment being intended to ring, no matter
>the carefull de-tuning of the actual duplex segments.

Harold Conklin did more research on tuned and detuned duplex's than any one
I know of.

Lifting the strings will reduce the amount if sizzle quite significantly,
so try before you braid anything.  Make sure the the lower shoulder of the
hammers in this section is deep needled, to give the hammer some elasticity.

Hope this helps.
Regards Roger