[CAUT]  Liszt, historical pianos et. al.disccusion and links(long)

Bdshull@aol.com Bdshull@aol.com
Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:25:55 -0500

Hi, Fred,
Hi, Fred,

I visited the Metropolitan Museum in late 2001 with the incredible Art Tour Guide Eric Schandall (seriously), and got to view the piano, I took pictures of course. (Using film and no flash, the exposure setting required a tripod, which I didn't have, and the guard wouldn't let me lean against the wall;  but then he would turn his back so that I could lean against the wall anyway...I got a few shots!)  The Erard has a stunning finish, I assume french polish.  It's an 1860's instrument, past Liszt's prime performance and composing years but otherwise still much like his earlier instruments because after 1850 Erard changed little for 50 years.

Bill