[CAUT] mind bender (for me at least..)

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:36:05 -0600

Hi Jeff,

At 03:16 PM 2/15/2005, you wrote:
>On Tuesday, February 15, 2005, at 04:08 PM, Avery Todd wrote:
>
>>And our new Fortepiano is being used again on Sunday night for a faculty
>>recital.
>>More weekend work. :-)
>>
>>Avery
>>
>Avery,
>I'd tell them if they want that FP tuned for a concert they need to
>schedule it for a normal work day or pay some serious overtime (not comp
>time either).  They don't pay us 24-7 kind of money.

Unfortunately, I don't really have that option. We have a more or less
regular Faculty type recital every Sunday at 3 PM. It's rare that anyone
rehearses prior to that, so I just come in early, get it over with and go.
I'm having a little trouble getting the fortepiano stabilized, so I'd be
very wary of it staying in tune from Friday until Sunday. Besides, because of
special circumstances, they're not able to have their actual "full dress
rehearsal" until Sunday.

>Our faculty here is VERY respectful towards my time.  Weekend work is rare
>and limited to very special major events.  I owe that to my predecessor
>who put his foot down.

I kind of have a feeling that you're one of the lucky few. :-) But because
of that type of thing and knowing that I'm not paid enough, I'm given a lot
of leeway in how I schedule the remainder of my time, re: off-campus
private work. I don't take advantage of that, but it's still very nice to
have it. Plus, the comp. time also comes in very handy sometimes!

Avery