[CAUT] re: weekend work, was "mind bender"

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 07:56:52 -0500

On Monday, February 21, 2005, at 04:42 PM, Don wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We sometimes forget we are artisans rather than artists.
>
> Horowitz preferred 3 p.m. on Sundays for recitals. Would you presume to
> refuse to service his piano?

If Horowitz showed up on Sunday, that would be a special event.

> I do realize that often University Techs are under paid and over
> worked.

No, "often" would not be the word you were looking for here.

> The trade off is a paycheck that is stable and other benefits. However
> in
> "private practice" I have been required to tune pianos at 2 a.m.,
> which I
> did quite cheerfully, and as it was a concert hall where I was the
> resident
> tuner, there was no "extra" remuneration involved.

Except that you're not doing the tuning for a take home check of $14.
Then, you have to take your travel cost out of that.  I live 16 miles
away.  At 37.5 cents a mile that's $12 round trip.  So, if I have to
come in on Sunday to do a single tuning, I take home $2.00.

That's what I'm talking about.
Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
School Of Music