[CAUT] re: Strobocon

Jim Busby jim_busby@byu.edu
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 14:05:21 -0700

Richard,
=20
Is it because the Strobocon hears the fundamental better?
=20
Jim
=20
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Richard Adkins
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2005 12:24 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: [CAUT] re: Strobocon
=20
I believe in the last decade or two, luthiers have been
using transducers at certain frequencies to
adjust plate resonance. They also use "plate tapping"
to find areas that need scraping. This is more
common w/violins, violas,cellos, basses than guitars
I think, but maybe they do it also.
=20
At one time, Schimmel (I was told) was doing this
to shape their sound boards. (Though you'd never
know if from the new 7' I tuned last weekend!)....
=20
Perhaps all the piano mfgs are using transducers for
analysis  now? I wonder if Overspianos has done this.
=20
If they are not they should.
=20
The strobocon would be most helpful in finding base
resonances of a sound board for example.
=20
I'd better hang on to the old tube job we have downstairs!
=20
Richard