[CAUT] tuning frequency

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 12:45:58 -0600

Consider youself a lucky man.  For five years at IWU, I had one who
was "loyal" to the pervious tuner (who had been asked to retire)--that means
he
wouldn't cooperate with me no matter what.  Finally, the semester before I
moved to Texas, he had a change of heart (I don't know why, but it certainly
made working there much better).  When he heard I was leaving, he walked up
to me and said, "What?  You're leaving?  Why, I just started being nice to
you!"   Well, he was honest!  :-)

So, do you schedule work in different parts of the building on specific days
or times so you don't run into each other?

When I was at IWU, the recital hall pianos were tuned the same time each
week, but got extra attention for faculty recitals.  The faculty studios
were tuned on demand (usually 2-3 months), depending on seasonal swings.
Tuning got easier after I installed Dampp-Chasers and humidistats.  I heard
that my successor was able to get the funding to install the humidifiers.

Right now I'm thankful that the stage manager at the performance facility
where I work is a really great guy.  He knows how much time I like, puts it
in the schedule and even plans to have the stage lights on to cook the piano
before I come in.  It's nice.

Barbara Richmond