[CAUT] tuning frequency

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 16:23:51 -0500

This is an interesting thread with some great responses.

Yes, Julliard can get weekly (I thought it was daily according to an=20
article I have) tunings on teaching instruments because they have 5=20
full time technicians and 4 part timers for, what is it, 247 pianos?

Some of your other responses about unisons barely moving in a teaching=20=

studio with only 3 tunings a year.  Well, those guys just don't know=20
what south of the Fall Line weather patterns combined with modern (low=20=

budget) HVAC systems with zero humidity control will do to piano=20
tunings during the normal school year, do they Wim?  I actually think=20
the old steam heat for winter, and open windows for air conditioning=20
was a more stable system.

I got my daily recital tuning time moved to afternoons after my first=20
year here because of the 10 to 12 percent humidity changes that were=20
happening between 9 am and recital time making the tunings unstable. =20
My predecessor had had trouble with the vaccuming staff in the room.  I=20=

fixed that with the time change.  And my concert tunings are MUCH more=20=

stable now.  No, I don't tune the recital pianos every day, but I do=20
have time in the hall every day in case I need it.  It is much more=20
difficult to schedule a tuning time AFTER the recital schedule has=20
changed than it is to be the daily stronghold they have to schedule=20
around.  But, that said, the tuning will move around from day to day. =20=

The one thing I DO try to give our students and faculty here is the=20
best professional performance situation I can give them.

So, what do I do?  Well, I try to encourage my piano faculty to keep=20
their pianos watered.  Some pianos are on their third tunings this=20
semester, WITH Dampp-Chaser systems.  Others haven't been tuned since=20
last semester (hey, I'm not saying they're in tune - I'm saying the=20
profs ain't fussing. One professor came back after the Christmas break=20=

and said, "what did you do to my pianos? they're sounding great after=20
the break!"  I smiled broadly and just thought to myself, "Nothing.=20
That's just how bad your ears are.")

Otherwise, it depends.  I set out to keep everything here on a timely=20
schedule.  But after 3 years of these roller coaster fall/winters, I=20
pretty much gave in to realize that trying to keep everything on a=20
strict schedule make no sense because Mother Nature chooses her own=20
schedule.  You can create so much work by working hard.  You can=20
literally work yourself to death and in a week's time the pianos can=20
STILL sound like you don't even exist.  So, I'm going by the "squeaky=20
wheel" method for now.

Oh, and yeah, I was an aural tuner when I came here.  An ARTISTE!

No longer.  Mother nature will put an ARTISTE who's trying to keep=20
pianos in tune at this school in that Charter place over on the island=20=

just outside Charleston.  I bought an SAT III to preserve my sanity.

As long as you're checking intervals behind you as you go and tuning=20
unisons aurally, you're still listening to the piano, and likely=20
getting a more stable tuning at the same time.  It's amazing how your=20
stability increases when you can watch for those little lights to start=20=

drifting ever so slightly with your test blows.  The machine isn't a=20
crutch unless you allow it to become one.  I've found it to be quite=20
the opposite, and an indispensable teaching aid.

Your professors should understand that different buildings have=20
different climate control capability, and not to mention, different=20
climates will have varying levels of change.  If they don't understand=20=

this, make them all a copy of Walter Deptula's article from the January=20=

2000 Journal on "Deep Cycling of Humidity".  That article alone can=20
answer LOTS of questions and support your position.  Add in a copy of=20
that Steinway article on climate control, get you a couple of those=20
Dampp-Chaser digital hygro units and record and reset the high/low=20
every week inside a couple of their pianos and you should have some=20
pretty convincing support.  Everything you give them, give a copy to=20
your supervising administrator.

Your professor who claimed that tunings that lasted 8 weeks at another=20=

institution might not have been realizing that she just didn't notice=20
the piano drifting ever so slowly.  I can guarantee her that tunings in=20=

THIS building won't last 8 weeks.

  I tune for a church in another town.  Regardless of what I've tried to=20=

tell them, they wait for the organist to tell them the piano is out of=20=

tune.  After all, he is on the music faculty at (another college), and=20=

he has "perfect pitch".

Yep.  Always requires a significant pitch correction.

Jeff

On Saturday, February 26, 2005, at 05:07 PM, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> There is minor argument between the piano faculty and myself as to how=20=

> often their pianos should be tuned. They want to know why their pianos=20=

> need tuning once a week. (and they do need it, especially during the=20=

> winter). One of the professors claims that at another university she=20=

> worked at, her piano lasted 8 weeks.
> =A0
> How often are you guys tuning the piano faculty pianos, presuming they=20=

> get played heavily about 30 hours a week?
> =A0
> Wim
> Willem Blees, RPT
> Piano Technician