[CAUT] Piano tuners on different keys about technology

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:07:15 -0800

Sometimes you're right.  I won't say always.  But that's why I like the
combination of the two and why though the machines are very nice they
are not reliable enough to without listening, at least for me.  The
problem, I believe, lies in the fact that they are programmed to select
a certain partial (or in the case of the VT a certain balance of
partials).  But frequently, those need to be fudged a little.  This is
most obvious at the tenor break where inharmonicity spikes up and in
order to keep a good thirds progression, the notes often need to be
tuned a little flatter.  Once you jump to the upper end of the tenor
break, the inharmonicity often drops back down and you are fudging and
blending.  But it also happens in other spots.

What I can say is that with respect to tuning, the only complaints I've
gotten, whether tuning aurally or electronically (at least that I knew
about) were when I got lazy and tuned strictly to the machine without
checking.