[CAUT] Re: Restringing Treble

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:26:47 EST

In a message dated 12/31/2004 1:47:55 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
claviers@nxs.net writes:
  Jim
   Nice post.
  Happy new year
  Dale Erwin

I won't  repeat the previous posts, because I don't believe it's necessaty.
Ron  Nossaman is mostly correct.  The drastic change in pitch of one  section
when the tension is off an adjacent section has more to do with the  plate
than it does the soundboard.  But it's not so much "compression"  of the
plate as it is "deflection".  It's the fact that the plate  wants to bow up
when it's under tension.  Release the tension of one  section, and the plate
straightens out a little.  Put the tension  back, and the plate bows up
again.  That's what the nose bolts and the  "horn" are for - to minimize the
upwatd bowing.  It may not be obvious  to the eye, but if you will put a
rigid beam across the piano, and some  dial indicators measuring both plate
and board deflection at different  places as you change overall tension, you
will see what's happening.   I have done that, and the dial indicators tell
the story.

It's both  plate and board, but as Ron says, I believe in this case, it has
more to do  with the plate than it does with the board.

Another point missed  here.  If you look at one string only, and see changes
in neighboring  strings, a part of that change will be coming from
compression in the  bridge itself - i.e., forces on bridge pins being
reflected to neighboring  bridge pins.  If you look at the bridge on a
microscopic scale, you  will see that it is not a rigid body at all.  On the
cell-to-cell  scale, it is somewhat springy too.

Conclusion:  Because of the  obvious plate deflection, you can't assume
anything about the board.   When you change the tension, everything moves
just a little bit, but not in  the same direction.

Sincerely, Jim Ellis