[CAUT] Gradually improving voicing

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sat, 8 Jan 2005 11:21:22 EST

In a message dated 1/8/2005 3:26:39 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
phil@philbondi.com writes:

Hello  all.

I sat in the audience last night to hear a performance on a 'D'  that I
care for. I noticed that it's starting to sound a little strident  and am
looking for some advice to make it less strident with a busy  concert
schedule coming up.
    >>> Hi Phil
   Me too. I experienced a Modesto symphony  Performance last night of Saint
-Saens Piano concerto in G  minor. French Pianist Phillipe Bianconi thrilled
me with his style, control,  emotion & the tone he illicited from Old Cd S&S
vintage 1941. His  pianissimo passage work was absolutely ethereal. The piece
also thunders. I've  not heard this piece before & was truly Moved & Blessed at
the beauty of  what I heard.
  At the same time I was thrilled to have the privilege  to work with this
piano enough to have the kind of tonal resources available for  such a pianist
as this. It was truly gratifying. I  wasn't tense in my chair waiting for the
ax to fall or a  string to fly out of the piano The tuning was solid a stayed
put despite  the non stop rain & changing R>H. conditions. It was  grand
   The Steinway D 9 ft. is a different animal  & have found over time,
Working with 9 fts. is an acquired skill that  is a very different experience from
any other types of work we do.
     I have received Much help from  fellow techs./friends
 Bob Davis of U.O.P conservatory of Music  Stockton  & Peter Clark at CSU
Sacramento in the care &  feeding of Stwy D concert grands & have taken
instuction from the sounds  that came from their beautifully prepped  pianos.
  There are so many variables. The type & size &  acoustics of the hall is a
huge one. The Hammers ,the actions condition etc.,  Whatever, the thing I
learned first was that in order for a D to  project ,& have color & susutain it
must be voiced so that sitting  at the piano it will  literally Roar at you. It'
was a shocking  experience to think that Chopins rain drop prelude could
sound that sweet  from 100 ft away & then have oppurtunity to play the piano in
person 10  minutes later on stage & hear how aggressive & powerful it sounded in
my  face. This was many years ago.
  "My" D at the symphony has a great board & the  entire piano has been
rebuilt. I like this piano very much. I like the sound of  properly voiced Stwy
factory hammers in these kind of pianos. However ,in this  D,I have a set of
Isaac hmmrs  with the same kind of felt That N.Y uses.  They have been lacquered
of course.
  Before the hall acoustics were enhanced/improved I had  it voiced up to
project & do all those tonal things I described.
  My first Pianist in after this was Robert Levine &  I got a phone call. The
pianist would like to talk to you. Gulp. about the  voicing. I already knew
this was coming but on the initial tuning for the week  was limited to time on
that first occasion. Robert is a fine pianist & we  were on the same page but
I hadn't really gotten to hear the piano played in the  new hall so on that
day he played & I listened..
   Really the needling required to get our desired  result was not all that
difficult or time consuming & occurred in the areas  on each side of the strike
pt. from 1 ocklock & 11 Ockclock. With these  hammers I didn't need to go
particularly deep or use all that many strokes. I  also did some crown needling
,deeper than sugar coat but not too many. This  warmed up the sound nicely & a
happy balance of color,power & sustain  for the new acoustics of the hall.was
achieved. The pianist was happy as  was I
.  More relevant to your situation ,Had I the time to  wash the lacquer away
from the crown a bit I would have done that but time  didn't permit. I've
touched it up  a few times  with  needles since  to smooth out a few glaring notes.
  I've learned that just because no one has complained  about the piano
doesn't mean objections aren't being noted by some who play  it.
  My feeling is that experimenting too close to a concert  can be dicey &
give one a good case of anxiety.
  Usually If I'm happy with what I'm hearing most  pianist/folks are to. Work
on the piano at your leisure. Get others who play  well to come in & play it
while you stand away from the piano in the  Hall.
  It would be good to know about your hall , the hammers  , the vintage of D
& the health of the board & various components to be  any more specific. There
many others that have experience in this venue. Ask  Horace, Bob Andre, Big
Dave Andersen & More. Each will have a  different  thing to add.
   Good voicing to you
   Dale Erwin

-My initial thought is to start to improve its voice from  either end and
work my way towards the middle.

- Would it be wise  to add any liquids to the hammers during my tunings,
knowing that withing  a few hrs., the piano will be played for a performance?

The reason this  has to be done gradually for right now is quite simple:
a very busy  concert schedule coming up with time available to the
instrument limited  at best. From what I heard last night, it MIGHT take
a little more than  just needling to get it to where _I_ want it to be.
Also, please be aware  that no one has complained about the piano..quite
he contrary..people have  been very complimentary to me about the piano.
Regardless, what I heard  last night could be made better and I'm looking
here for the advise and  expertise of those here who may have been in a
similar  situation.

-The one thing I have thought of is this: The piano will not  be used the
entire month of February with Phantom coming into the hall. It  MIGHT be
possible to work on it then, but again, I don't know if the piano  will
be available or accessible. Phantom takes up alot of space  backstage..

Thoughts and ideas greatly appreciated,

Phil  Bondi(Fl)