[CAUT] 2 D's revisited.

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Thu, 13 Jan 2005 21:20:35 -0800

You don't really need to switch the entire action, just switch a small
section of hammers from one to the other where you can actually hear the
contrast right in the piano between the two sets.  At least you could
then eliminate hammer differences.  It is possible that the pianos
simply have different bellies in terms of crowing and/or bearing.  It
wouldn't be the first time.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Erwinspiano@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2005 9:05 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] 2 D's revisited.

In a message dated 1/13/2005 3:46:19 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
fssturm@unm.edu writes:

   Hi Wim
  If both are made in 92 often it's possible just for fun to switch the
entire action from one to the other & play with it. It's that FUN part
again.
   . Yes it may not line up perfectly (or at all) but it would be worth
a quick try & it would tell volumnes immediately I should think. Yes?
   Dale Erwin

  Last year I asked about the lack of sound from one of our D's. (If you
recall, Olga Kern didn't like it). I got a lot of good advice, and below
are two posts I got from Jeff and Eric. Since then I have done a lot of
work on the new D, but now, it just sits there. Most of the players,
including faculty and students, prefer the older piano. Personally, I
like the sound I get from the new D, but then maybe I'm prejudiced. I
don't have the thick skin Fred has, so this is becoming a personal
challenge.

I wonder if any of you who have a similar situation, (2 concert grands
where is one is preferred over the other), if you've tried switching
hammers? I have thought about doing this, but if it has been tried
before without much success, I can save the time doing it. Any advice?

Wim

Hi Wim,
    Actually, I take things like that very seriously. But not too
personally. My sense is that there is a lot of "herd instinct" in any
department. At the moment, "everyone" plays our newer piano, though both
are quite well set up, IMO (I guess I like the newer one a wee bit
better, but it's close to a toss up). There are a couple of folks who
are ornery enough to have their own personal opinions, and choose #2,
but everyone else wants "the better one - you know, the new one." That
may be what you are experiencing. Word got out that the new piano isn't
up to snuff, so everybody avoids it. It's certainly a line to insert in
your psyche to help ease the pain <g>.
    Which isn't to say you shouldn't continue to explore possibilities
with the poor rejected one. I doubt swapping hammers would do the trick,
but it's worthwhile experimenting a bit, exchanging just a few samples
and seeing how much difference and of what sort you get. You have to be
VERY finicky about alignment to strings to make this a fair test. If
there is a substantial change, and in a positive direction, then you
know that hammers are something to focus on. Do it both ways: hammers
from the newer one into the older as well (I'm talking shank and flange,
too, not popping off and re-gluing for this experiment).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico