[CAUT] Wippen alignment

Fri, 14 Jan 2005 21:48:00 +0100

Hi Avery...

Without actually seeing your action I will venture this bit of thought.
There are three planes you can manipulate usually.  One is purely
left-right or the lateral position of the entire whippen assembly. This
is usually allowed for by the size of the flange screw hole compared to
the smaller diameter of the screw itself.  The second is the horizontal
tilt, adjusted by adding paper to one side of the flange or the other.
The third is the vertical tilt, adjusted by simply tilting the flange
itself so that it is other then perpendicular to the whippen rail.

Some combination of these three needs to do the job.... or the indexing
of the action iteself is bonkers. Steinway flange or not.  Draw an
imaginary line from the letoff button through the capstan position, and
adjust the lateral and horizontal to pass through both (if possible).
Then adjust the vertical to assure the jack top is centered under the
knuckle.  Either its possible or not Yes ??

 The most radical fudge job I ever saw is on a Petrof I tune from time
to time.  Here two sections of hammer flange holes were misalligned with
the rest of things so that not only did you have to fudge the whippen as
much as possible.. but the hammer shanks were off on this radical angle
so the hammers could actually meet the strings.  I think I will have to
take a couple digi-shots of this to share with you all next time I get
the chance.  Its really quite something.

Reasons for differences between old and new ??  Flange condition is the
first thing that comes to my mind.

RicB