[CAUT] Steinway Hammers revisited

Phil Bondi phil@philbondi.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:11:59 -0500

Hi all. I just got done with my first set on an upright. Awhile back I
got a discussion going about voicing them out of the box. Here is my
assessment of my first S&S Hammer job:

-They are no where near as difficult to voice out of the box as I was
originally led to believe.
-Granted, they were going on an upright with the original wire, but they
sounded just fine..the client was happy.
-I got the last gallon of lacquer know to Sherwin-William in this area.
I mixed it 4:1 thinner to lacquer..very consistent results from hammer
to hammer.
-I won't go into the juicing process for this particular customer..let's
just say my gut instinct was right on the money.
-From the discussions here to talking to the Steinway techs have made
what seemed like 'the impossible dream' very real and very consistent.
-I look forward to my next Steinway Hammer Hanging/Juicing job.

The Baldwin D at the Hall where I do Concert work is in need of hammers
- would you hang Steinway Hammers on it?

I'm giving it strong consideration, as I am also considering Ronsen's
Wurzen felt(no experience there, just acknowledging the results I have
heard from other techs).

Your thoughts and comments have been greatly appreciated..noted..and I
look forward to many more.

Phil Bondi(Fl)