[CAUT] Funny Noises

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 15:05:55 EST

Ken writes:
<<  The click seems to be

in the wippen, since when I pull the action and lift the hammer out of the

way, I still get a click, but if I hold the wippen up and strike the key, I

get no click.  It doesn1t appear to be jack top hitting anything, but I

can1t find the source of the noise.  This is particularly frustrating

because I1m usually pretty good at diagnosing this sort of thing.  I1m

getting this piano ready for a concert this Friday, so I1m beginning to be a

little anxious.  Any experience, ideas, or wild speculations out there? >>

Greetings,
   My first wildest speculation is that it is the jack, hitting the very edge
of the hammer flange,  or perhaps a loose button or two on the jack or
whippen.  This assumes all the pinning has been checked and no loose hammers or
staples.
Good luck, this way madness lies...

Ed Foote RPT