[CAUT] Guidelines/piano ages...

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 14:03:56 -0600

Friends,

Recently I got to thinking out loud with the interim dept head re:inventory
and average age/replacements/needs, etc.

Today, I plugged and chugged to get _average_ age of grands, uprights and
overall. Hmmmmm.

Looking in the guidelines, I see a target "oldest piano" for uprights is
suggested as 20-40. Double hmmmmmmmmm.
Our _average_ upright age is about 31.  I suppose that that would be OK
since only 3 are above 50, and are already on a "short" list. - oldest 87.

The grands, however...  oldest, not counting the square,  116!

Average age is about 43, but does not take into account rebuilding.  How do
youz guyz and galz factor that into the equation?

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder