[CAUT] Stands. slightly OT

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:58:13 -0500

On Thursday, January 27, 2005, at 01:00 PM, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> I am sure other schools have problems similar to this.=A0Any =
suggestions?

Our building manager paints "USC school of music" on three sides of the=20=

stand, so that it can not only be seen by the performer, but by the=20
audience and from all directions when being carried.  He said that=20
those who have tried to paint over the logo have learned that it is not=20=

possible to completely cover it up.  And yes, there are some "friends"=20=

of the school of music who will report it when they see stands being=20
used or taken when they're not supposed to be.

We also impose a fine and consider our stands to be stolen if seen=20
outside the building, and this includes faculty.   But he said the=20
three sided marking was the single largest deterrent which slowed the=20
"hemmorage" (ok, spell check ain't working on that one) of music stands=20=

from the school of music.

Now one advantage we may have is that the school of music is almost=20
completely housed in one building (except for  that the marching band=20
meets up in the old band hall a few blocks away before all practices=20
and games).  The building manager has a student work study crew which=20
does ALL set up, including moving stands from one place to another when=20=

needed.  Now, keeping the stands all in the rooms they are needed in=20
may be an impossibility without some sort of "Wal Mart Inventory=20
Control System".

Jeff Tanner, RPT
School Of Music
University of South Carolina