[CAUT] Econ. Affairs Article

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Mon, 04 Jul 2005 21:15:27 -0600

On 7/3/05 6:42 PM, "Wimblees@aol.com" <Wimblees@aol.com> wrote:

> In a message dated 7/3/2005 5:11:38 PM Central Standard Time, fssturm@unm=
.edu
> writes:
>> Hi Wim,
>>     One topic that would be very useful to a number of cauts (and others=
 who
>> deal with large institutions) is contracts. What should be in them? What
>> legal safeguards are necessary on both sides?
>> Regards,
>> Fred Sturm
> =20
> Fred=20
> =20
> That's a very good idea. I don't work with a contract. I am, what they ca=
ll,
> an "at will" employee. Which basically means I can get fired or let go at=
 any
> time. Now, the university has guidelines as to why they can fire me, but =
there
> is no guarantee, from year to year, that I have a job.
> =20
> I will include that in my article, but could I ask those of you who are u=
nder
> contract, to send that information to me. Please send it to me, not to th=
> CAUT list.=20
> =20
> Thanks
> =20
> Wim=20
>=20

Hi Wim,
    I was really referring to contracts for those who are =B3non-employee=B2
cauts, who may simply work on a =B3per service=B2 basis, or possibly on a =B3per
hour=B2 basis. This is by far the largest number of cauts. In general, many i=
not most would be better served if there were a written contract setting ou=
various things, from financial terms to liability issues. Guidance on these
matters would be most welcome.
    I think the number of employed cauts who have or ought to have a
contract is pretty small, probably insignificant. Most are covered by
personnel policies which are standard within their institution. Now, a look
at what those are, how you might want to research them, might be helpful.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico