[CAUT] Steinway stack height

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:48:17 EDT

In a message dated 7/19/2005 2:13:49 PM Central Standard Time,
purdy@ohio.edu writes:

Tell me  this, when you regulate jack placement under the knuckle, where
is it in  the rep. window?  Mine had to be too far forward to line up
with the  knuckle molding.  The 17 mm shanks seem to be answering all my
prayers.  The only other alternative seemed to be to lower the  stack.
I was afraid to do that.  I was scared I wouldn't get  them level.

Let me know what you  find.

Chris

I was just told that if you don't replace the wippens too, you'll have
alignment problems. The new Steinway wippens have the jack center back 1 mm to
allow it to be under the core at 90 degrees.

(I just learned that today at the Steinway seminar at Oberlin.)

Wim