[CAUT] Wurzen felt

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 11:42:19 -0700

David,

You'll probably find that can of hairspray was merely lacquer in a diluted
form & a well-coiffed can.  I wrote about using the "spray bomb method" on
this list 2-3 years ago, with an astoundingly silent response.  You're the
first one to confess such nefarious experimentation -- and to publicly admit
that it really works!

Great for emergency juicing jobs, but can be easily reversed.  However, it
can give surprisingly satisfactory & long-lasting results, if desired.

I use a spray lacquer (like Deft), and acetone as a chaser on the crown to
keep it from developing a nasty zing from the crust.  I suspect that the
hairspray was dilute enough to achieve the same results.  The thing I like
about the acetone is the fact that it flashes off so fast that you pretty
much know what you have within a matter of minutes.  However, your method
was not only Suave, but it was also cheap -- may have to try it next time.

Otto

----- Original Message -----
From: "Porritt, David" <dporritt@mail.smu.edu>
To: <caut@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 24, 2005 2:26 PM
Subject: [CAUT] Wurzen felt

> We have a Steinbuhler 7/8 action for a "D" in our main recital hall.  It
isn't used a lot, but it is used.  A couple of weeks ago it was being used
for a master class and the Ronsen Wurzen hammers were just a little too
soft.  The sound was really nice, but the treble didn't have enough higher
partials to be heard well over the bass.  It sounded muddy in the hall.  The
professor who uses it wanted some more zing!

> I'm not a big fan of over doping - particularly on really nice hammers.
As a first step I went to CVS pharmacy down the street and got a can of
98-cent Suave Extra-hold hairspray.  I covered everything but the hammers
with newspaper and sprayed all the hammers but more on the treble ones.  The
next morning it sounded pretty good.  The professor who prefers not to fight
a dull instrument was very happy with it so I quit meddling with it.

> I have to admit I've never tried that before, but had read it somewhere
(this list?) and thought that was probably as benign a starting place as
any.  I don't think it would have worked on less dense felt, but on the
Wurzens it really worked well.