[CAUT] in praise of impact hammers

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:46:00 -0500

I'm sharing a bias because it really saved me some work yesterday. Our choir
bought a piano for the son or our organist who is promising, and lives with
Cystic Fibrosis- so a great bunch of 20 people or so pooled resources, and
ended up with a Falcone.................................  Well, it was
sooooooooooo far ahead of the Whitney spinet our organist had wrecked 30
years ago, which was what he had to play on.

The pins were so tight on the Falcone I feared some would break.  I saw some
LOVELY new impact hammers that Dean Rayburn is selling, at about $250 more
than I could afford, so I got the Schaff one for $75, and did some altering.
Removed a little weight of the top, and then made a nice padded handle. The
piano averaged 17.7 cents flat (TuneLab 2.0), and after I yanked the thing
up with the impact hammer, I actually had a fair number of "free" strings in
the second pass.   Letting the banging do the work worked nicely. I also
tuned our horrilbe Samick with it, not making a second pass, and the next
day there were only a couple of strings which had strayed.  My total
experience is limited to three pianos, but I certainly think the tool has a
valid place. It's convinced me it's marvelous at least for tight pins and
large pitch raises.
les barllett

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: winmail.dat