[CAUT] in praise of impact hammers

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:15:11 -0400

On Monday, July 25, 2005, at 03:46 PM, Leslie Bartlett wrote:

> The pins were so tight on the Falcone I feared some would break.

See, this is exactly where I would think the impact hammer would be
more likely to break tight pins than a standard hammer.

I just can't imagine having the same control.  I have no control trying
to "bump" the tuning hammer with tight pins.  All that usually happens
is that the pin twists, the string renders, but the pin does not budge
in the block and everything goes right back south with a few sharp test
blows.

We have a faculty member here who bought an impact hammer years ago
when he worked for a music store out west.  I'll see if he'll let me
borrow it to try.

Jeff T