[CAUT] Piano truck installation

Jim jim@pianoguy.com
Mon, 20 Jun 2005 22:44:45 -0400

Scary Story

I installed a 'spider' under a baby grand in a local hotel a few years =
ago, pretty much the way Wim described, except, that since it was such a =
small, and therefor not very heavy piano, I knelt under the piano and =
used my back to lift each corner in turn instead of using a jack . .  =
Started with the front legs, and, exactly as described below, without =
using the block, however, got the front or keyboard legs done.
Lastly, went to the back, tail, leg and lifted . . .  well I discovered =
an interesting phenomena about centre of gravity, momentum etc.
The two front legs, now being on the spider, where the castors are =
significantly inboard of the legs, gives the whole piano an entirely =
lighter feel at the back end . .  It went up entirely too easily, and =
would have kept going in a front somersault if I had not realized what =
had just happened, and grabbed that disappearing back leg with all my ( =
bank account inspired ) strength.
As I held on to the piano and fitted the leg into the little cup, I =
thanked my lucky stars that the piano and I had both survived . .=20
Moral of the story . . sometimes an assistant / spotter is a GOOD thing =
!!

Be careful Lance !

Jim Kinnear
"A man is about as big as the things that make him angry." -- Winston =
Churchill
  ----- Original Message -----=20