[CAUT] Adopt-a-piano... ??

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Fri, 11 Nov 2005 13:59:17 EST

In a message dated 11/11/2005 11:30:55 A.M. Central Standard Time,
alan.crane@wichita.edu writes:

A  proposal has come from the Dean here at WSU to launch an
"Adopt-a-Piano"  fund raising strategy similar to the adopt-an-animal
programs in place at  various zoos around the country.

Does anyone have either current or  past experience with such a program?
If so, can you give me any idea how it  operated, what pianos were
involved, and how well (and how long) it worked  for your institution?
I'd also be interested to know any downside or  complications that
came along with it.

Regards,

Alan  B. Crane,  RPT

Alan

I ditto Jeff's sentiments. You should be lucky that the Dean at  least has
made a proposal to try to improve the piano situation for the  school. Here at
UA, we are not allowed to propose any ideas, because the  university is in a
$350 million fund raising campaign the improve the  buildings and build new
ones. It is not known if this will include money to  buy pianos.

But to get back to your request, an idea that was talked about a little at
the Steinway seminar at Oberlin this summer is to put on a concert,  and have a
"price tag" on each of the players. In other words figure out what it  cost
each student to get an education, including the price of the  instruments, the
private lessons, the salary of the instructors, room and board,  etc. Maybe
when people realize what's involved in putting someone through 4  years of
college, they might give a little more to the university to support the  program.

Wim