[CAUT] Bösendorfer

Jurgen Goering pianoforte@pianofortesupply.com
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:18:17 -0800

On Nov 16, 2005, at 11:00 AM, Avery Todd wrote:

> .....The tech who's been taking care of it at Rice told me that as
>  far as he knew, it'd never been tuned to anything higher than A-430.
>
>  It seems to be in really good shape but I'm sure something will come
> up
>  eventually where I'll need to know how to work on it. :-)
>
>  Avery
>  _______________________
>  Avery Todd, RPT
>  Moores School of Music
>  University of Houston

In 1880, Alexander J. Ellis published a comprehensive treatise called
"History of Modern Pitch".  The following pitches are taken from that
source, FWIW:

1845, Vienna, Marloye Conservatoire [orchestra?]:  A 445.4
1862, Vienna Esser Piano  A 454.0
1862, Vienna Proch piano  A 445.0

There are also other tuning forks of piano companies such as Broadwood,
Erard, Steinway,  etc.  listed.  For the time period of 1820s to 1870s,
there are more listings of pitches over 450 Hz than below 435 Hz, with
most being above 440 Hz.

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440