[CAUT] HT Question

ed440@mindspring.com ed440@mindspring.com
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 08:00:22 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

The Modern Meantone on PRCT was created by Karen Hudson-Brown in about 1995.
ES

-----Original Message-----
From: Fred Sturm <fssturm@unm.edu>
Sent: Nov 16, 2005 8:16 PM
To: caut <caut@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: [CAUT] HT Question

On 11/16/05 5:21 PM, "Jeff Stickney" <jpstickney@montanadsl.net> wrote:

> Fred,
>
> I took the "M=Modern Meantone" and "R=Regular Meantone" right out of the
> PRCT manual.  That's what I was asking about - maybe "modern" in this
> case means a version of meantone created/modified by someone who is
> still living (Jorgenson, Coleman or the like) as opposed to Silbermann
> or others from the past?  Still learning,
>
> Jeff
Hi Jeff,
    I suspect someone made a mistake. At any rate, the term "modified mean
tone" appears in Jorgenson's Tuning tome. I don't think he uses the term
"modern mean tone".  And I think Dean Reyburn just took those directly from
Jorgenson.
    I'm sure there are some "modern mean tone" tuning methods as well. But
the ones listed in the historical temperaments menu of RCT are all historic.
Look at the descriptions: names and centuries are all pre-1900 at least.
Regards,
Fred Sturm