[CAUT] Grand Piano covers

Sat, 22 Oct 2005 07:58:44 -0400

Ken -
I agree with those who have expressed satisfaction with the Instrument
Covers product.  Also, I found Dennis Haley to be extremely helpful and
flexible to deal with.  However, you might want to clarify what exactly
your're looking for, as even they have a few different types.

Padded
Waterproof
Locking
Extended skirt
Detachable front

The main problem with the full padded covers is that they are heavy, and
not (at least initially) folding-friendly.  If even I can admit to having
to take a mental breath before embarking on the process of removing a cover
from a D, what can I (we) expect of students, faculty, or stage crew?
(What, no stage crew?)  There is the tendency on the part of most, to pull
the cover off and throw it in a corner.  In fact, even if you take the time
to fold it nicely, so that it's easy to replace, finding a place to store
it where the inside surface won't get dirty, and thus transfer to the
piano, can often be a challenge.  I have also seen the unfortunate response
where, because it seems SO protected, stage personnel feel less reticent
about using the surface of the piano to store things, like lights, scenery,
etc. :O

Nevertheless, a good product -  good luck.

David Skolnik