[CAUT] Hearing Protection Desirable for Tuning?

Jeff Olson jlolson@cal.net
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:20:44 -0700

I think one of the unstated issues is the loudness of one's tuning
technique.  Very hard strikes, which I virtually never use, would seem more
likely to be ear-threatening than softer strikes (which I use).  I imagine
there's some controversy over which is better, but I know it's possible to
tune a piano well without hard strikes.

I'd say that my tuning is quieter than an average person practicing.  My
guess is that if you play the piano long and loud on a regular basis, that
would cause hearing loss.  Also, tuning with certain pianos in certain
practice rooms, as Greg mentioned, can definitely stress the ears.

There's also the question of how sensitive we are to dangerous sound levels.
I feel my ears are irritated by sounds *far* below 120 db, and all my life
I've trusted my irritation to inform me of excessive db.  I suppose it could
be like thirst, which isn't generally considered to be an accurate indicator
of the need for hydration.  I've noticed during exercise, especially
mountain hikes, that I tend to drink far more water than my friends, who
often say they drink only when they feel thirsty;  but I think I may have
trained myself to be more sensitive to the symptoms of needing water.

The analogy I'm struggling to make is that through increased awareness or
simply native sensitivity, one can be more "attuned" to damaging sounds just
as one can be to one's need for water.  Whatever the reason, since I was a
young child, I took to covering my ears in the presence of loud noises when
others appeared indifferent to them (still do -- for instance, barking
dogs).  So far, at age 50, I've experienced no hearing loss that I'm aware
of.  The last hearing test I took, when I was 46, resulted in the
proclamation that I had "superb hearing," so I don't feel the incentive to
start using noise filters while tuning pianos -- though I could see that
changing if I found myself in certain environments, such as Conrad was
describing.

Best,

JeffO