[CAUT] Hearing Protection Desirable for Tuning?

Jeff Olson jlolson@cal.net
Sat, 29 Oct 2005 22:41:35 -0700

Another question about "setting the strings" relates to a previous
discussion about impact hammers (where I expressed surprise that people were
still using conventional wrenches on uprights, since impact wrenches seemed
so clearly better; some disagreed, but none that had actually used impact
wrenches, if memory serves).

I stopped using those heavy test blows on uprights shortly after purchasing
my first impact hammer.  I didn't make any immdiate connection, however; I
simply thought my technique had evolved to make those hard blows
unnecessary.  But at some point I did consider the possibility that impact
hammers, through the pin-tapping action (or other effects), had a settling
effect similar to test blows -- or perhaps an equivalent effect by
"settlling" the pins.

Today, I tuned three pianos, and, after plugging my ears, proceeded to
test-blow several keys throughout the range to see if any strayed.  A couple
of high treble notes developed a slight quaver, and that was about it (but
they might have even I'd struck them hard originally...not sure).  I tune
many of the same pianos year in and out, and haven't observed any notable
failures of tuning stability, though there are always pianos more
troublesome than others (usually with obvious environmental or structural
explanations).

I think this is an interesting topic that could use more rigorous
examination....

Best,

Jeff