News from a Friend -- Re: [CAUT] Re: Katrina

Otto Keyes okeyes@uidaho.edu
Fri, 02 Sep 2005 09:37:02 -0700

We have several friends around here who are from the area, and it has =
been devastating.  However, as Wim mentioned, I would be very careful =
about where & how you give.  We had some friends up in northern Alberta =
who told us about a guy in the local Red Cross who rigged things so =
donation deposits were going into his off-shore account.  By the time =
they discovered it, several hundred grand were gone...& so was he.  As =
well, seemingly legitimate websites can be used as scams with just a bit =
of extra code.  The problem with getting scammed is that nobody who =
really needs it gets help....& you also lose your tax deduction, so the =
bureaucratic crooks take what's left! =20

Give with compassion, but don't be a "bleeding heart" -- they'll line up =
to drain you dry.

Otto

 ----- Original Message -----=20