[CAUT] they stayed :o

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Fri, 02 Sep 2005 11:09:57 -0700

At 01:01 PM 9/2/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Susan,
>
>Lucky you. On one of my first paying jobs, a treble string broke. I still
>didn't have piano wire or tools to do it with. :-(
>
>Avery

<grin> I started out bringing my tuning tools in a large purse.

My first private customer had an old painted upright, some of it a perfect
fourth flat. The rest was only down a major third. I raised it by a
semitone per pass, and broken nothing. Even tuned it again a few times
before I left town.

While still in the course, I did a pitch raise on a nice little 1900's
miniature, a Bell Pianette. The owner was a voice major, and needed it to
pitch. I broke a string. I had the gear (can't remember if I had to make
another trip to bring it.) I removed the other side of the broken string --
NOT. I cut a perfectly good one just to the left of it, had to replace
both. <grin>