[CAUT] bridle straps

vince mrykalo madvinmryk@yahoo.com
Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:49:25 -0700 (PDT)

let's see if i can remember this:  drill a 1/8" hole above the butt leather and just below the catcher shank.  make an inserter out of an old upright damper lever, by fashioning a two pronged "fork" at the end of the wire. use the damper block (without the felt) with a center pin sticking out of the side the felt was on 1/4" or so which will hold the vinyl end of the strap. the hole in the vinyl end will go over the center pin. the fork at the end of the wire will hold the other end of the strap that will be forced into the 1/8" hole in the butt.  the strap is held taught as it gets inserted. tighten the screw that is found on the damper block so each strap will be the same length as they are inserted.

David Ilvedson <ilvey@sbcglobal.net> wrote: Lists,

I going to install bridle straps on a Steinway upright. No catcher hole for cork so I'm using the plain bridle straps. Schaff informed me that the tacks are not available anymore. How do you guys and gals attach the bridle straps to the catcher dowel?

David I.