[CAUT] Hurricane Prep...slightly OT

Robin Blankenship tunerdude@comcast.net
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:30:26 -0400

Hi folks,

Well, I most sincerely hope that it never comes to THIS for any of you =
about a hurricane.....but. some years ago, before starting to do piano =
work, I was in the Navy and stationed at the armed forced School of =
Music near Norfolk, VA. As the Chief Master-at-Arms, part of my job was =
keeping and updating existing contingency plans for any and all =
disasters.=20

We had a significant number of vertical pianos in the building, =
especially in small practice rooms on the first floor, which was barely =
ten or tweleve feet above sea level.=20

I suggested that we get sturdy wooden beams and rope to use in hauling =
the pianos upstairs in the event of an approraching major hurricane. My =
concept was dismissed with the airy remark that it would just as easy to =
buy new ones. I was outraged and horrified.

Well, looking back on that years later, I realize that those "pianos" =
that I was so intent upon saving were mostly little more than "piano =
shaped objects" that would best be left to a merciful death by drowning. =

I do not mean to make light of the great difficulties and dangers than =
come with these storms. But, just maybe, it does provide a new =
perspective on the old notion of walking the plank.

Robin Blankenship
Matoaca, VA
P.S., If any of the other members of this list have any experiences at =
the old SOM, it would be great to hear your stories.