[CAUT] Crescendo Punchings

central jorge1ml@mail.cmich.edu
Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:45:46 -0400

Hello,
     If you haven't already tried Crescendo Punchings, try them.  I was
surprised and pleased with the tonal result.  I have read what the skeptics
said, and was inclined to agree with them.  However, a better tone did
result.  IMHO the noise of keys bottoming out, (like it or not), is a part
of piano tone.
    I also received some interesting regulation benefits.  I changed them an
octave at a time on a recently regulated Steinway setting dip with the same
block and comparing dip carefully with the old to keep exactly the same.
What I found was that I had set a high hammer line because the old mushy
seven year old punchings deceived me to feel a need for more aftertouch.  I
happily lowered hammer line a little which translates to more power and
faster repetition.
    I like the solid feel of these punchings and how tightly they fit on the
pins.  The improvement was like that of new key bushings and action centers
all for a couple hours work and 25 dollars.
-Mike Jorgensen
Central Michigan University.