[CAUT] Key leveling stick??

Thomas Seay t.seay@mail.utexas.edu
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:58:00 -0500

Hello all!

I figured out a way to make a curved key leveling stick using a table
saw. Let me "splain":

I built a 50" wooden fixture with a 48" piece of angled aluminum
fixed at both ends with a slot cut in the middle and toggle clamps on
each end of the fixture to hold the blank in place. The angled edge
of the aluminum faces the blade.

The center of the aluminum is pushed towards the saw blade 1 to 2 mm
and locked in place. I then take a square and straight piece of wood,
48" x 1 1/2" x 5/16" and attach it to the jig with the toggle clamps,
squaring it against the bowed out aluminum edge. When the clamps are
engaged, the outside edge of the stick is under tension and bowed out
towards the blade, following the contour of the aluminum. I then run
the jig through the saw blade against the saw fence and cut it
square. When the tension is released, the stick springs back to its
original position, leaving you with a perfectly beveled edge on one
side and a straight edge on the other. Works every time and the
amount of bevel is adjustable.

Tom