[CAUT] Advice

Fred Sturm fssturm@unm.edu
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:44:50 -0600

    I don't believe the GC-1 has a sostenuto. C-1 is (generally speaking)
quite a bit nicer, though I prefer a Kawai RX-1 in that size range.
    The K & C's have improved considerably over the past 5 years. I was
quite impressed by one particular grand model (sorry, I can't keep those
combinations of letters and numbers straight - seems like there might have
been an "R" in the mix, but that's a vague maybe) when auditioning pianos
for purchase this fall. Not as good as C-1 or RX-1, but definitely worthy of
consideration, particularly at the price (about half). I'm still feeling
leery of action freeze-up problems, even though Roger assures me that has
been solved at last.
    With respect to uprights, it's hard to beat the Yamaha U series, IMO.
    BTW, with regard to the comment that in grands you need 6' or larger,
practical considerations make that a foolish standard. We have several
offices and practice rooms that are simply too cramped for larger sizes.
Granted, the bass sound in particular suffers, but as long as the action is
well set up, and the voicing is well done, it serves the purpose. I used to
think uprights should all be minimum 48", until I heard feedback from
several students and faculty that they couldn't see for ensemble purposes
(when I had done them a great "favor" in upgrading a classroom from studio
size to 48").

Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico