[CAUT] Advice

Porritt, David dporritt@mail.smu.edu
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:14:30 -0500

Wim:

=20

The sound on delivery is Kawai's job.  The sound a year later is your
job.  It's called voicing!  :-)

=20

dave

=20

David M. Porritt

dporritt@smu.edu

________________________________

From: caut-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:caut-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf Of
Wimblees@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2005 1:37 PM
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Advice

=20

In a message dated 9/29/2005 11:14:00 AM Central Standard Time,
atodd@uh.edu writes:

	List,
=09
	I received this from a university piano professor I know from
out of=20
	state and was wondering if anyone could comment. I'm comfortable
with=20
	the U models but don't know anything about the GC grand or the=20
	equivalent K & C. Could anyone give me some information?
Especially=20
	about those two. I haven't seen a new K & C in many years.
Thanks.
=09
	Avery
=09
	"I am trying to buy some pianos for our school and am looking at

	Yamahas, one GC
	(5'3") and two U models (uprights).  Can you give me a
professional
	evaluation of those Yamaha pianos as opposed to Kohler and
Campbell (same
	dealer, lower price).  Anything you can tell me about those K
and C pianos
	would be appreciated."
=09
=09
	_______________________
	Avery Todd, RPT

Avery

=20

For the money, K&C pianos are pretty good, but not as good as the
Yamaha. But the one thing to consider is the tone. Last year we bought
two Kawai RX 5 . At the time the tone was acceptable, but after a year
of playing them, the tone has gotten too bright. I'm afraid that is what
will happen to the K&C's and the shorter Yamaha. One thing you don't say
is what the 5'3" will be used for. If it is for a practice or class room
it might be OK. But if it is for a piano studio or recital hall use, I
would have to agree with Don, that 5'3" is just too short.=20

=20

=20

Wim=20

Willem Blees, RPT