[CAUT] Advice

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK@missouri.edu
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:37:30 -0500

Hey, Avery,

I have worked with a Yamaha dealer for a number of years, and I am generally
a big fan of Yamaha.  It is my understanding, though, that their small,
non-C-series grand, i.e. the G something 1, is not made in Japan and not up
to the C-series standards.  Last I heard it was made in Indonesia, I think.
I don't know if they're making them in China now or not.  This model has
been the GH-1, GA-1, and I think a couple of other designations, so don't
think just because it says GC-1 that there is necessarily a connection to
the C-1.  This model is intended to be an entry-level home piano and
performs well in that setting.  I would definitely not recommend it in an
institutional setting.  A community college I have done some work for bought
a couple of GH-1s several years ago and they just don't hold up well under
that amount of use.  The C-series is a must for college use.  I would
recommend a C2, but if they really don't have the money or room, a C1 would
hold up as well, with only the expectable drawbacks because of its size.

I must echo Fred's comment:  I really like the U series uprights.  We have a
bunch of them and they do very well under heavy use.

I have also been impressed with the Kawai, both RX and KG series.  I have
only worked on 2s and 3s, though, no 1s.  I think they would serve you well
also, but they seem to run a little more expensive than the Yamaha.

I haven't seen a new K&C, so I can't help you there.

Hope this helps,
Ken Z.