[CAUT] Kohler & Campbell advice

Israel Stein custos3@comcast.net
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:51:07 -0700

At 11:00 AM 9/29/2005, Avery Todd wrote:

>List,
>
>I received this from a university piano professor I know from out of
>state and was wondering if anyone could comment. I'm comfortable
>with the U models but don't know anything about the GC grand or the
>equivalent K & C. Could anyone give me some information? Especially
>about those two. I haven't seen a new K & C in many years. Thanks.
>
>Avery
>
>"I am trying to buy some pianos for our school and am looking at
>Yamahas, one GC
>(5'3") and two U models (uprights).  Can you give me a professional
>evaluation of those Yamaha pianos as opposed to Kohler and Campbell (same
>dealer, lower price).  Anything you can tell me about those K and C pianos
>would be appreciated."

My experience has been that the K & C pianos cannot withstand heavy
use. We have a couple here at San Francisco State in practice rooms
and we've had lots of trouble. The trapwork (aluminum) came apart at
one point and had to be rewelded, and once the hammers get scored
somewhat there is no way to get a decent tone out of them any more.
The students flock to the Yamaha P-22 and avoid the K&C SKV-48s  if
they can help it...

Israel Stein