[CAUT] a bad habit.

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Fri, 30 Sep 2005 14:03:18 -0700

At 02:52 PM 9/30/2005 -0400, Michelle wrote:
>(Shhhh- but personally I feel it's way easier to make repairs, ease
>keys, etc. by just leaving them off...)

It only takes a minute to get them on and off, and they are an adjustable
control over key-bounce. Without them, keys will sometimes be slapping
against the fallboard felt. And then -- you never know -- some of those pianos
actually might need to be moved or shipped somewhere. They do call them
"shipping rails" (down East), as well as "slapper rails" (out West) you know.

In your place (assuming you didn't turn them into firewood, and use
the nuts for fishing weights) I'd collect them from their little hiding
places, figure which one belongs to which piano, and get them all
back on again.

Aside from your feelings in the matter, any other tech who follows
you will take one look at the bare keysticks and think bad thoughts
about you. Sort of like following someone who wraps masking tape around
pedal rod pins.

ssssssssssnnn