[CAUT] Baldwin SD

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Apr 2 10:07:01 MDT 2006

There are a few things you can try.  First, determine if the sound is being
made by each string in the unison or just one.  Then, determine if the sound
isn't coming from the bridge.  Measure the downbearing front and rear, if
possible.  Take the strings down in tension and inspect the bridge top
paying special attention to the groove/bridge pin relationship.  See if the
groove doesn't extend beyond the pin line.  Secure the bridge pin with CA if
necessary.  Cut a square of cardstock (say from a manilla folder) and insert
it under the strings on the bridge top covering the area between the bridge
pins to change the height of the strings just slightly.  Pull up to tension
and test again.  If it still makes the same noise determine if the sound
might be coming from the back of the agraffe.  Cut a small piece of pinblock
material or short piece of thick wire from a coathanger or a wire mute
handle and insert it underneath the strings behind the agraffe to change the
counterbearing angle just slightly.  Pull up the tension and try again.  If
the sound is still there (or if it isn't) then take the strings off the
tuning pins pull, straighten the wire and pull it through the agraffe.  Take
out the agraffe and replace it with a new one that's been reamed and
polished.  Replace the strings and hope.  If that doesn't work, find a place
to go have a beer.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net