[CAUT] Baldwin SD (agraffe refurbishing)

Mark Cramer Cramer at BrandonU.ca
Fri Apr 7 08:39:03 MDT 2006

Thanks Tim,

I've just re-skimmed the article, and will read when time permits.

My favourite string lifter is the type we make from old bass strings. The
hook is made from music wire, so it's thin enough to hook at the agraffe,
and draw back all the way to the tuning-pins, as you suggest. Good idea!

Though the agraffes in Paul's article are beautiful, I still haven't
convinced myself the actually profile the string contacts is significantly
different than we get from shoe-shining (upwards motion) with a bicycle
brake-cable or a cello string.

i.e.: we control the radius of the "U" shape by the angle we shoe-shine
with.

As a matter of fact, this is the identical motion we use to restore the
profile on a capo.

Now the results we get have absolutely no comparsion, cosmetically speaking,
Paul's work, is like art!

However, the string path itself, provinding the profile is right will have
any minute roughness  burnished out the first time we pull the string to
pitch. So the benefits of string contact area, ease of rendering, etc.
should be much the same.

Just MHO, and of you, Paul and myself, I'm the only lazy one who has yet to
prove my point by cutting the agraffe open.  :>)

Tim, I think it would be great nonetheless if you would consider sharing
your (and Charlie's)
method on the list.

We don't always get replies to our posts, but there are many techs in a
"read-only" capacity who would certainly enjoy and benefit from your
experience. And I would like to give your method an honest try as well.

best regards,
Mark Cramer
Brandon University

PS As for Ron Overs... well Ron I think you make all of us feel like total
slackers (I-beam ribs, making your own soundboard clamps, your own action,
and now re-plating agraffes!!!).

Would you mind easing up just a bit and let some of us catch up? ;>) Thanks
btw for hosting my clients on their recent trip to Sydney. They are real
piano enthusiasts and certainly enjoyed the visit.