[CAUT] follow up on tuning for the local orchestra

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Tue Apr 11 11:52:33 MDT 2006

First let me explain that for the most part, the work I do for  the symphony
is more or less volunteer. When I first got here 5 years ago, I was  offered
the equivalent of one tuning fee to prep the piano. For this I usually  wound
up spending about 3 or 4 hours. Not wanting to charge the already  financially
scrapped symphony for more money I decided to "give" them my time. I  reasoned
that I am getting paid by the university, and the work I did on the  piano
benefited the university, too.

I also don't mind working on weekends or evenings. Like most of us, I work  a
very flexible schedule. Although I fill out a time card that says I work
37.75  a week, presumably from 8 - 4:45, with an hour off for lunch, I usually
work at  times other than 8 - 5. So spending a Saturday night moving pianos,
doesn't  bother me.

Now, as far as a budget is concerned, I think I have some money coming on a
regular basis, starting in the fall. I approached my chair with  some
questions regarding the fee the TSO, and other groups pay the school for  the use of
the facilities. Although I didn't get a straight answer, he did  assure me that
starting in the fall, part of the money collected from these fees  will be
allocated to me. The money will come from 4 places. One is the rent the  TSO
pays. Next the rent outside groups pay. Third is, starting in the fall, for  the
first time admission will be charged for all concerts. And forth, also
starting in the fall, a church has requested the use of the concert hall, and  the
use of the piano, paying a very hefty sum each week. The church is supposed  to
use the hall for about 2 years.

How much I am going to get is still going to be determined, but I said any
amount would be appreciated. I am anticipating about $10K per year. It isn't
much, but it will give me a chance to start rebuilding some of the worst
pianos.

We also discussed becoming an all Steinway school. 32 of my 75 instrument
inventory is already Steinway, so were almost halfway there already. I know
some of you are not in favor of going that route, but I think it will be the
best chance we have at replacing some of our aging instruments. We have 4
Steinway grands that date from the '30's, and there are about a dozen uprights  in
practice rooms from the 50's and 60's. The university president just  announced
a very ambitious $500 million capital improvement campaign to be  completed
by 2009. The chair said he would put my request for $500,000, and see  what
happens.

Thanks for those who responded.

Wim
Willem Blees,  RPT